Sunday, July 19, 2009

New Little Treasure Slightly Transformed

An estate sale near our home started on Wednesday of last week. This is a rare event--a Wednesday--for our town. So I headed over a couple of hours after is had begun. I should have known that something was amiss when there were only 2 cars parked out front. I went in and was shocked at the outrageous prices, plus the organization was really lacking. It was being orchestrated by a company from out of town and I guess I am just spoiled by our local fanatics that run such sales. Anyway, I just wasn't finding anything until I went out to the "storage building/workshop" area. Now it must have been 110 degrees in this little room, so I quickly scanned the goods and found this little glass bowl with a wooden lid. For some reason it "spoke" to me, so for $2, I said, "sure, you can come home with me". The lid had some major staining, but that didn't matter because I had my plans already of how I wanted to transform this little treasure.


On the previous Monday, I picked up some Krylon "Blue Ocean Breeze" spray paint with good intentions of using it on some object. Well, now I had a target!
Using Goo Gone Spray Gel, I quickly removed the price from the glass bowl, and added the bowl to my load of dishes in the dishwasher and pushed start.
I gave both sides of the wooden lid 3 coats of the spray paint and now I have another "catch all" for my kitchen countertop. Those are some "tennis ball" sized limes in it now.



My husband and I headed to San Antonio on Friday and I always love stopping in Fredericksburg at my favorite Thrift store.


The parking lot was filled and since the hubby was waiting in the truck with our daughter and SIL's dogs, I had to make a quick run through the store. Not a problem! I picked up just a few fun items:
This great silverplated serving piece will see a transformation soon cost: $2.50.

I loved this $2, 10" square plate--I think it will be wonderful as a little birthday gift with cupcakes on top.

Lastly, I spied this pyrex divided 1.5qt dish with the LID! It has sort of an Americana Themed design on harvest gold, which I have never seen. I had to spend the $4, because I was hoping the lid would fit a larger oval pyrex casserole dish, in the harvest gold wheat pattern, I bought last weekend for $1--best part--IT FIT PERFECTLY!!!



I hope you will take the time to visit Southern Hospitality, where Rhoda is hosting Today's Thrifty Treasures and Between Naps on the Porch, where Susan hosts this week's Metamorphosis Monday.

31 comments:

Charlene said...

Love that square plate!

Sue said...

OMG Suzanne, Everything you got was so fun! The blue paint really transformed that jar. I'm a fan of Pyrex, wish I could find some more of that green daisy flower stuff. Great idea for giving a gift of cupcakes on that cute square plate.
:-) Sue

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You did good. I have gone to estate sales like that and walked out empty handed. I refuse to pay full price for something that is used.
Glenda

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

You found some great things! I love that square plate.

claudie said...

Hi Suzanne
I love the simple transformations.
Happy Met Monday even if it's Sunday. lol
Love Claudie
xo

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

You got some good finds there! Love that blue paint! Linda

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

That's a great little jar!

★Carol★ said...

Oh, that plate is so adorable, and I can see some cupcakes on there too! Will that silver serving tray become a chalkboard? I'm always looking for a lid to fit one of my Pyrex dishes, but Pyrex is never cheap in the thrift stores!

Unknown said...

That is a great little jar, could be used so many different places, and I loved the square Birthday plate. I really likes the color you used on the jar lid.
Sandy

{oc cottage} said...

Wow! Just a little paint is amazing!

m ^..^

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I LOVE that plate with the shoes and purses! That is adorable!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love you new treasures. The jar is just darling painted blue on the top. So cute. All of the other pieces are such wonderful treasures, especially the cute little plate. I love Fredricksburg, such a cute tow. My best friend use to live there and we went antiqueing many times. Love it. Hugs, Marty

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

You got some great treasures!!!

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Gotta love finding a deal on Pyrex

bj said...

I love all your treasures...especially that little square plate.
We have a San Antonio trip planned in the fall..we always go thru Fredericksburg (my fav place on the planet) and I didn't know about this thrift store. Could you tell me if it's located on the main street or just where? Appreciate it...
xo bj

Embellished Bayou said...

A simple transformation with an amazing result, love that color!

Sharlotte said...

Great finds! Don't you just love "treasure hunting"!

the undomesticated wife said...

Man, several of us have found vintage Pyrex the last week or two. Love it!

Blondie's Journal said...

You have found some great treasures, Suzanne!! I love the shade of blue you painted the lid of that bowl. That is such an IN color right now!!

Sounds like you have some of the best places for finging great stuff down there in Texas!! Love everything!!

xoxo
Jane

Kammy said...

Hi Suzanne !
Great first project ! Love that blue ! Pyrex is really coming back and so durable !
Hugs ~ Kammy

brokeintrovert said...

I love your finds...my favorite is the plate.

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Hello from Keller Texas! ;o)

I love that hospice thrift store too...I go in every time I leave Homestead in Fredericksburg. LOL

sandra said...

I loved that thrift shop also. I used to live 30 miles from Fredericksburg and when I went into town, that was the first place I went. I have a lot of "treasures" from there.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Love that little covered glass piece that you painted. That's the same color I used on a little table. Love it.

You found some neat Pyrex too!

susan said...

I never would have thought of doing that to the jar! Great bargains. I just saw your collars and will have to check them out! My Jessie's birthday is Saturday! :)

caren said...

I love the cupcake plate! What a great gift for someone on their b-day. They get cupcakes and a plate to boot!

Lady Katherine said...

love the plate! Pass it over! lol I love how you painted the top, just awesome!

Unknown said...

Your post is great! I love that litte square plate. I don't think I could find one in a store that I liked that much. Thanks for sharing.

Charla

Helen Joy said...

I love that little bowl with the top. It's really cute.

Nicole A. said...

I love that little jar and with the limes I love it even more! Love how the blue and green look together! Awesome! Love that tray, it is sooo pretty! Awesome finds!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I haven't been to Fredericksburg in a long time, but I loved that town! You got some good stuff. And as with that first project, sometimes it's just the little touches that make it perfect. Paint!
Brenda