Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Easy Colorful Covered Button Choker Tutorial

Last week I was inspired by something, probably on the Internet, to make more
covered buttons.
I have saved almost every nice scrap of fabric that I have left while making my dog
collars. I also have an abundance of ribbon, so why not combine the two and make
something wearable‐‐by people or pets! Imagine the possibilities: choker, necklace,
bracelet, headband, pet collar, etc!



Step 1: Supplies needed:
Fabric scraps
Scissors
Flame source
1.5 yd 7/8" wide ribbon‐‐I'm using grosgrain in my example
Buttons to Cover kit and several buttons to finish—I used size 30 (¾”)



Step 2:
Cover your buttons according to the manufacturers directions. I chose to make 7 for
this choker.



Step 3:
Decide upon the arrangement of your buttons and then proceed to Step 4.



Step 4:
Thread all of the buttons on to the ribbon. I had a few issues with one of the backs,
and had to use needle nose pliers to make the shank opening a little wider so that
the ribbon would pass through it.
Once you have all the buttons onto the ribbon move them further "down" the ribbon
away from the end where you started threading them (which probably now has
some fraying‐‐not to worry!).



Step 5:
Tie a knot about 14” from the “frayed” end of the ribbon and slide the first button up
close to it.



Step 6:
Tie a knot on the opposite side of the first button and move the second button next
to knot #2. Continue this process until all the buttons have knots on both sides.
This can get a little tricky. I find it easier to do if I move the “free buttons” further down the ribbon so that I have plenty of space to fashion each knot. It does get easier with practice.





Step 7:
Trim the ends of the ribbon and seal them using a heat source. I use a candle lighter,
and just pass the flame quickly across the cut edges of the ribbon.



Step 8:
Tie it on and off you go!



I just noticed that I didn't follow my design layout, but changed it up a bit. I also love these a bracelets!

16 comments:

MyCustomBabyBoutique said...

Great tutorial...I'm going to have to try that...

Debra Pate said...

Neat idea! Have you seen the necklaces made with fabric and marbles? It is neat too.

Anonymous said...

Love it! BTW, I have a ribbon company if you're interested (www.reasonableribbon.com)
Excellent work and great instructions.

Anonymous said...

Me again! So sorry I didn't realize you sell ribbon too. Not trying to advertise on your blog or ANYTHING like that...honest! My apologies.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Pretty! I'm loving all the color!

tcmoniz said...

These are amazing!

Julie Nitz said...

Great idea! They would be cool in school colors.

Anonymous said...

Hello, i came across your blog today searching the internet on crafting. I love your work. You are very talented. I especially love your picture of the pug! i OWN A PUG AND IT LOOKS JUST LIKE MINE. I have been wanting to try covering buttons but am reluctant bcause it seems so hard since they are so small.. I do plan on trying it out now from reading your post. You did inspire me. ThankYou for your inspiration and keep up the awesom work. I see your also new to ESTY,I LOVE ESTY. I plan to open shop there once I get a page full of items to sell. have a great day! Rocio P.

Anonymous said...

i forgot, i live in Conroe,TX. not to far from you.

Unknown said...

Congratulations for making the "One Pretty Thing - Daily Inspirations for a handmade life". http://www.oneprettything.com/

Thanks for sharing.
Tracy

Unknown said...

Congratulation on the mention on "one Pretty Thing"
http://www.oneprettything.com/ site. I was excited to see it there. Thanks for sharing. Tracy

LFN Textiles said...

what a great idea! I design ribbons (fancy, not grosgrain like this - www.lfntextiles.com) and I am always looking for new ideas for ribbon use. I could sew buttons on to ribbons too heavy to thread... also I think I will make some of these with the promotional pin buttons we have for our art fair this weekend (New Harmony IN, Arts in Harmony): we got artists to each send a design from their work to make little 1: pin buttons -- I can just see them as ribbon bracelets!

Laura said...

Vcry clever and cute!

Unknown said...

fantastic idea and great tutorial! I'm going to link from my blog www.kojodesigns.blogspot.com! :)

Anne said...

Cool idea!!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-covered-button-choker/2009/05/07/
--Anne

Lisa said...

WOW! Beautiful! I need to try it!