Sunday, March 22, 2009

Canning Jar Pincushion Tutorial

Have you seen these new Ball® Wide Mouth Contemporary Styled Glass Preserving Jars?



I love this little Half Pint size, especially if you turn it into a pincushion. I realize this is not a new idea and there are lots of instructions available for converting a jar lid into a pincushion, but I think maybe I should give you my version!
Here’s the finished product:



Supplies Needed:

Fabric Scrap of your choice
Jar with lid and band
Cotton balls or fiberfill
Card Stock
Glue gun, not pictured








Step 1: Using the lid of the jar, cut out a circle of the same size from the card stock. UPDATE: TRIM AWAY ABOUT .5 INCH OF THE CARD STOCK CIRCLE. This allows for less bulk when adding the lid to the jar.




Step 2: Using the lid of the jar, trace around it on the wrong side of your fabric. Increase that circle’s radius about 1.5” and cut out the larger circle.












Step 3: Layer the fabric, cotton balls, and lid then place the “sandwich” inside the band.














Step 4: Press the lid down so that the cotton balls and fabric form the pincushion on the opposite side of the band. Check to see if you need to move the fabric to avoid creases. Make any necessary adjustments and then fold in the fabric and hot glue it to the underside of the lid. Making sure that you place your glue inward, away from the edge of the lid. Too much bulk at the edge of the lid will make it hard to close.












Step 5: Trim away any excess fabric and hot glue the cardstock over the fabric edges.





Step 6: Line the band with a small bead of glue and insert the pincushion into it, pressing firmly. Add the lid to the jar and YOU HAVE A NEW PINCUSHION!





Other ideas (please add yours in the comments): Monogram the top and use it as a “treasure jar”. Add ribbon, paint, and other embellishments to the band to give it even more personality.

34 comments:

Kellianne said...

I'm a pincushion junkie! Thanks for sharing...how simple and cute.
~Kellianne

SewDanish-Scandinavian Textile Art, Unique Handmade Supplies said...

That's a great tutorial. I love getting great tips for new projects! Are you familiar with the craft site "Cut Out and Keep", where one can upload tutorials and projects?
Birgitte (UWIB)
http://www.SewDanish.etsy.com
Scandinavian Textile Art, Unique Handmade Supplies

Tiffany said...

That's so cute! Love the fabric you chose. I'm stopping by from the UBP.

The Dreamer said...

Totally cute and pretty. Thanks for the instructions!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Love this! I am a fan of pincushions and jars!

I am in Plainview...not too far away from you.

Anonymous said...

I love this little thing! It's way too cute, thank you for the tutorial!

heidistitches said...

So clever! I would have never thought of using cotton balls - I always have plenty of those and never batting. Great tip and really cute jar. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I already keep some of my decorative pins in that jar...but it would look so much cuter with a pincushion on top!! Thanks for the idea. :D

annies home said...

Thanks this is such a great idea will place it with the to do list as well as christmas idea list
thanks

Anonymous said...

This pincushion is just adorable! Thank you for such a creative idea. I have a feeling that after making many of these, I'll have to replenish my stock of jars before canning season!

Tim, Allyson, and kids said...

I'm stopping by from the UBP. Thanks for inviting me in and introducing yourself! I love this pincushion!

We'd love for you to stop by and see what's going on at our blog.

Find out how we've received over $175 in FREE Amazon gift cards in just 2 months. (No Surveys or Emails!) You can,too. (top left sidebar)

Happy Partying,
Allyson
www.a-heart4home.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are truly talented. Love your pet products :)Just blog hopping during the UBP 2009!

Jenny
Designer Dog Furniture

My SEO Gal said...

Dropping in from the UBP 2009.
Terrific Tutorial. Very easy instructions!

Carla
http://myseogal.com

J n J Designs said...

What a Great Idea!!! Too Cute!! I hope you make the Top 20!!
Julia (UWIB)
www.jnjdesigns.etsy.com

suzspeaks said...

I just found your blog... I have not seen this idea, but I LOVE it! I'll be making it soon! Thank you!

~ Karoline ~ Sew Cute Boutique said...

Love it! Can't wait to give it a try.
~ Karoline
www.SewCuteBoutique.blogspot.com
www.ThatsSewCute.etsy.com

Eileen Saunders said...

Oh Suzanne - this is just adorable! I can't wait to make it for my mom - a "seasoned" seamstress. Thank you!

Eileen
a/k/a turkeyday53

Vicki ♥ said...

This is so good and it makes me wished I lived in America so I could do it..we dont have those jars here in Australia.

regina said...

thank you so much. off to make one!

Kimba said...

What a great idea! I love it! And you could fill the jar with something pretty too.

Thanks!
Kimba

MaRiN said...

I absolutely love this idea! I ran out and bought a jar right away and made it the same day. Thanks!

Small House said...

Love this tutorial. Simple enough for me to do. THANKS!
Sandra

Peg said...

Very cute and so simple! I haven't seen the small jars but I'll have to look for them.

Anonymous said...

Very adorable & so easy to make.

Tracy I.

Heather said...

I LOVE this idea...so cute!! You inspired me to make some for Christmas presents. Check it out. ;-) http://inspiredartistry.blogspot.com/2010/01/mason-jar-pin-cushion-and-bead-straight.html
Thanks!! Heather

Diane Schmidt said...

I love this, I bookmarked it when I came across your blog and was having a computer glitch,and am so glad I did, I love glass jars! What a great idea.

Doodlebug Gail said...

Thank you for your wonderful tutorial. I recently signed up for a Pincushion Swap and used your tutorial - have a look at what I did - http://quite-quilted.blogspot.com/2010/01/bits-n-pieces.html

Joy said...

What a wonderful tutorial Suzanne... I can't wait to find those little jars like yours, I have never seen them that small.

ShannonSews said...

What a darling pincushion! Thanks for showing us how to make it!

Anonymous said...

This would be a great idea to adapt to old cookie tins and send a sewing kit to college

Didi said...

Cute idea. Your blog is lovely, but would be a lot easier to read if tou could use non scrpt font.

caryh said...

can you help - our is this post way too old?? Our lid will not screw on tightly -everything inside makes it too thick for the grooves to connect. Anyone else having this problem?

Suzanne in TX said...

@caryh try making the fabric circle a little larger and the card stock circle a little smaller. Hopefully, that will mean less bulk at the point of contact when trying to close the jar. Also, make sure the batting (cotton) isn't under where the rim hits the lid--this, too, may cause it not to close completely. You could also cut V's out of the fabric on the underside of the lid, producing less bulk. Just play around with it some.

Anonymous said...

interillaSuccess at last! I tried this 4 times and it finally worked, like this: use a SOS pad covered with a little fiberfil, stitch around your fabric circle and draw the thread in like a "yo-yo". Mine looks like it just needs a pretty button sewn with the ends of the thread - no card stock. (I used heavy rug thread)