Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Feathers and Button Brooch Tutorial

I started making these not long ago and just thought I'd share my technique in case some of you need inspiration for some last minute gift ideas.



Supplies you will need:

Feather cat toy
1 7/8" button to cover
4" square of fabric
6-8" piece of wire
felt for backing
pin back mechanism
hot glue gun

STEP 1



Take apart the cat toy so that you have the feather portion to use and recycle the rest however you please.

STEP 2



Detach the shank of the button back using pliers or wire cutters. Bend your wire in half and pull through the button back as shown above.

STEP 3



Cover your button, following manufacturer's instructions. Using hot glue, secure the feathers to the back of your new button and wrap wire around the feathers tightly. Pull the wires up through the holes of the pin mechanism and bend the wire around the pin to make it secure (I put a small dab of glue under the pin, too.)

STEP 4



Cut a piece of felt slightly larger than the size of your button. Make tiny slits in the felt so that the pin "parts" will be visible. Using hot glue, adhere the felt to the back of the button, trimming any excess felt from the edges.

STEP 5



Turn it over and add it to whatever you are wearing!

Please let me know if you have any questions--hope this make some sort of sense to all of you. I welcome any and all comments!

2 comments:

jocetwin1 said...

Oh, WOW! I LOVE this!!!! Wouldn't the button be cute monogrammed! Thanks for the tut!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is so pretty! And I love the pp's idea of monogramming it-gorgeous! I'll be linking tomorrow.