Wednesday, July 29, 2009

SUPER QUICK BOOK THONG/SEXY BOOK MARK TUTORIAL

UPDATE: AUGUST 20, 2009
I just had to join in this weeks fun with Kimba over at A Soft Place To Land. Click on the image below to go and find lots of fabulous DIY ideas:

DIY Day @ ASPTL


Have you ever purchased a pair of dangle earrings and in a few years asked yourself,"what was I thinking"??? Well, I find such earrings at garage sales all the time and love to find ways to re-purpose them. Here's just one of my favorites:


The Book Thong: It's the SEXY BOOK MARK

Supplies needed:
waxed linen cord (10-14")--I buy mine at craft stores
old pair of dangle earrings
needle-nosed pliers



Step 1:
Using the pliers, remove the earwire from each earring.



Step 2:
Cut a section of the cord to your desired length, depending on if you intend to use it as a bookmark for a paperback or hardback. I usually just cut the cord at a length of 14" so it will work for most books. Thread the cord ends through the "eye hoop" at the top of each earring, pulling through about 1.5 inches.



Step 3:
Tie off each end of the cord, making sure the knot is located very close to the "eye hoop". Trim excess cord, close to the knot.




Step 4:
Open the book you are currently reading and mark your place!




Step 5: (Optional)
One year I decided to make several of these to give as gifts so I designed some cards for displaying them. I cut little slits at the top and threaded on the book thong.




You can make your own "dangles" by using beads, charms, etc. Just be creative!

12 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great use for the earrings! I have made and given away bookmarks, but was in a store one day and they had some "Book Thongs" that were so pretty and only $1 ea. I knew I could not make them for that price. Bought several, left the tag on them that said book thong when I gave some to people and I would get this "Huh??". I took the tags off the rest before giving them away. :-)
Have a great week.
Glenda

Kim - GlitzyEvents.com said...

very neat and creative idea!

Tip-Tops said...

Cool! Pretty, and simple-yet I wouldn't have thought of it!! I love trying to figure out how to repurpose things.

L9sa

Balance From Within said...

great idea - thanks for sharing - I'm going to try this out with my missing the other half pairs of earrings !

Naughty and Nice Lingerie said...

Oh Wow...what a cute and simple idea! Love it!

Embellished Bayou said...

So fun, cheap and easy, love this idea...thanks for sharing!

Cathe Holden said...

Very cool! Great display card!

Ter said...

what a great idea!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Love the title or name of this bookmark. FUNNY!

Mimi from Peachy Papaya said...

Wow!!! That is an awesome idea... very creative.

Let it Shine said...

Those are fantastic! And they made me giggle!

brokeintrovert said...

I love your humor!!!